CBDCs are fast becoming a reality…
Central banks across the globe are investigating the feasibility of issuing central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) – and some are already nearing the roll-out phase – in face of the threat posed by privately issued so-called stablecoins.
However, design choices are complex:
- Retail vs wholesale (or both)?
- Privacy vs anonymity?
- Centralised vs decentralised distribution?
- Domestic vs cross-border?
… understand the state of play and explore the opportunities and challenges…
Learn about the ECB’s digital Euro project and hear about recent experiences from other leading central bankers about their progress towards issuing CBDCs. Assess the opportunities and challenges, consider the impact for financial institutions and consumers, and gain the insights you need to understand the key design dilemmas and current projects to support experimentation at the national and international levels.
This executive short course is conceived and taught by leading academics, central bankers and policy makers in this field. Get their first-hand insights and embed your knowledge through breakout sessions designed to place you in the shoes of central bank officials as they deal with one of the highest profile projects in generations.
The number of available seats for this in-person training is limited. Early registrations are encouraged.
Training dates: 2023
and be notified whenever we have updates on this course.
Training dates: 2023
The number of available seats for this in-person training is limited to 30.
Full/reduced: 1400,00/800,00* € (net of VAT)
Payment in three instalments possible
* The reduced fee of 800,00 € is available for employees of the public administration and of NGOs, and for full-time faculty and at public universities (evidence required).
Facts about this training
Training type: Executive short course
Format: in-person @ Institute for Law and Finance, Frankfurt
Online participation: via video link
Target jurisdictions: EU, EEA, CH
Certificate issued by: Institute for Law and Finance, University of Frankfurt
The European Digital Finance Programme is a collaboration of
What will I learn?
‘Understanding CBDC and the implications for the future of finance’ comprehensively covers current CBDC developments in Europe and internationally and sets out the key design considerations and dilemmas, and implications for financial institutions and consumers.
Our course instructors have designed a practical programme to help participants…
- Explore the drivers for CBDC projects, including the potential impact of private sector so-called stablecoin projects, including Diem/Libra
- Gain familiarity with CBDC projects in Europe and internationally
- Understand the opportunities and challenges of CBDCs for central banks, financial institutions and consumers
- Navigate key design considerations, including regarding scope (retail vs wholesale), design (account vs token-based), anonymity vs privacy, distribution (single or multi-tier)
- Understand the state-of-play of CBDC projects by leading central banks, including the ECB and Sveriges Riksbank
- Build an awareness of existing projects to promote cross-border collaboration in the context of CBDC investigation and experimentation
- Familiarise with ongoing policy developments in Europe and internationally
Should I participate?
You will benefit from this programme if you are an experienced practitioner, supervisor or policy maker and would like to further boost your confidence in respect of all issues regarding the crypto market and its regulation in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, in particular if you are
- A professional who wants to make an impact on the success of their organisation
- Currently working in, or moving to, a role involving entrepreneurial, strategic, regulatory, supervisor, legal or policy questions regarding financial services, in particular relating to crypto-assets
- A recent graduate of an advanced university programme (Masters, PhD) with a relevant specialisation (speak to one of our advisors)
- Curious to engage with a stimulating and inspiring training and happy to invest 1.5 days to advance your career
Frequently asked questions
You will receive an email confirmation with a link to a PDF voucher which includes all relevant information and your registration number. Upon receipt of this document, your seat is secured and you will not need any further confirmation. Please bring the voucher (print out or electronically) for registration on the first day.
HENDRIK HAAG (HOST)
Hengeler Mueller (retired), member ILF Executive Board
KLAUS LÖBER (LEAD INSTRUCTOR)
PHILIPP PAECH (LEAD INSTRUCTOR)
London School of Economics, Director of EDFP
MEET YOUR FACULTY
Lead instructors and contributors are internationally renowned thought leaders in crypto regulation
If you have any questions in relation to this event, please contact us.